Saturday, February 14, 2009

The Valentine's Day Anti-Virus


It's really not my fault Cupid's arrow misses me until some point before or after Valentine's Day (Thanks Cu, you're the man). Ironically, around February I'm usually never even "talking" to anyone to fully enjoy it. Sure, I could have a makeshift Valentine, but not my style. I don't hate Valentine's Day for one reason. I love to raid the Valentine-themed section at stores afterward when it's discounted. Even if I was bitter on V-Day I'll eat a chocolate heart in a minute. Plus, you can make Valentine's Day whatever you want sure it's geared to the couples but plenty show excess love and appreciation to friends and family members too.

Jen who kind of gave me the idea for this blog believe that V-Day was cute when you were a kid when it was all cards and candy but now all it does is remind you of sex and candy. She didn't mention love, so I'm assuming she doesn't see it that way at the moment, but I guess the only thing that stays constant is the candy which sounds like a sweet deal to me.

So, I rounded up responses from a few friends and acquaintances on their favorite anti-love/ relationship/ anti-opposite sex or or breakup song and I added my personal suggested song by that artist to remedy the anti-love song. Oh, and for those who didn't respond, I forgive you, I hate being put on the spot too ;)


Arien/Knowledge says "I Get Around" by 2Pac
Reason: "Hell if I know, cuz it's funny? Cuz he says, "well if I couldn't have it silly rabbit why ya sweatin' me"
Remedy for that anti-love song: "Me & My Girlfriend". Ohh..no wait he's talking about his gun. Nevermind. Ok , "Do For Love" from R U Still Down(Remember Me)? But then again in the song he had a girl when he met her, she knew and eventually she cheats on him...damn.
Well, he shows some much respected love for his mom on "Dear Mama".
Where to Find Knowledge:
http://www.knowledgethinks.blogspot.com/

Allie says "Bust Your Windows" by Jasmine Sullivan
Reason: "It actually was the first song that popped in my mind it's such a real song".
The Remedy: Jazmine Sullivan's "Need U Bad". Great song, good lyrics, but definitely I'm never letting you go again crazy kind of love.

Nafiys IModel Blakewood says "See You in My Nightmare" by Kanye West
Reason: " I never had love on valentines, no one to give my heart too"
The remedy:"Gold Digger" because sometimes giving your heart means giving your wallet too, but seriously funny song which has undertones of truth in it.
"Good Life" is a good carefree song to listen to.
Where to Find Nafiys: http://www.mrblakewood.com/

Megan (she's special and gets two picks) says "See You in My Nightmare" by Kanye West
Reason: Because it's such a f**k your couch I don't even love you a little song
Remedy: Try "Slow Jamz" because the song was a lot better than the wack video and I'm sure you remember those guys singing it to us in '03 while we were in Target

and
My Friends Over You" by New Found Glory
Reason: "It's the other extreme where it didn't work out but it's cool 'cause I have my friends".
Remedy: Of the few NFG songs I knew and liked at one point, none of them are saying any positive about love. lol.

Bob says "I Hate You So Much Right Now" by Kelis
Reason: "Cuz it's a song you can yell and not seem crazy"
Remedy: "Marathon" off Tasty which I'm sure you have.

CeCe "Paparazzi" says "Lions, Tigers, and Bears" by Jazmine Sullivan
Reason: "Favorite line. Why do we love love when love seems to hate us".
Remedy: "And I". She's busted windows and is ready to move on.
http://tinyurl.com/aqvsfu
to get to Cyncere Photography and Publishing



Al B. Young says "I don't have one, I'm all about the love." but then
on his own comes up with Keyshia Cole's, "I Changed My Mind"
Remedy: Keyshia's entire new album, I promise this time she's not on the love-lost/gone wrong type of tracks this time around. "You Complete Me" is a good one.
Where to Find Him: http://www.crackhouserock.blogspot.com/


Jen says "Separation of Church and State" by NOFX
Reason: "It's about the loss of freedom which sometimes can happen sometimes when you and are in a relationship".
Remedy: I don't know any NOFX songs to give you a remedy, sorry. Watch the end of Sex and the City movie where everyone ends up happy.


Uch says "Doin' Just Fine" by Boyz II Men
"It says a lot in that song, let's the girl know she made a mistake".
Remedy: Can't go wrong with "I'll Make Love To You". I'm sure many babies are still made off this song nearly 15 yrs later.

Myke says ""What Goes Around.../...Comes Around" by Justin Timberlake"
Reason: "Because I felt like that in my first relationship".
Remedy: "Until the End of Time", the version with Beyoncé even better



Some anti-love/relationship/breakup songs off the top of my head:
'Goody Goody" - Frankie Lymon (in a blog from '06 I explained this as .a.k.a good riddance you got what you deserved covered up by euphemistic lyrics and high pitch overtones before it was acceptable in music society to just say f- you b**h for breaking my heart)

"Break up to Make Up" - The Stylistics (classic)
"Heartbreaker" - Mariah Carey
"Son of a Gun" - Janet Jackson (jacking Carly Simon..I bet you think this song is about you....and it is! But even if it wasn't about you, you'd think it was...)
"Baby That's Backacha" - Smokey Robinson
"You and I" - Jason Mraz
"I Wish" - Heather Headley
"The One I Gave My Heart To" - Aaliyah
"Ms. Phat Booty" - Mos Def (damn, Mos Def was really feeling you and you played him)
"I Don't Ever Wanna See You Again" -Uncle Sam (I guess he was so heart broken he couldn't even make another song - well he did make that one, "Baby U Are" which was bad)
"Ice King" - Res
"Ex-Factor" - Lauryn Hill
"In My Bed" - Dru Hill (At age 11 the video's girl on girl creeping element did surprise me, lol)
"Me, Myself and I" -Beyoncé (Alicia reminded me of this song yesterday)
"Get Money" - Junior Mafia (I like the chorus, 'nuff said)

4 comments:

  1. I LOVE this blog! The paragraph when u mentioned me really made me smile - especially the part about the candy being a sweet deal. I totally agree with u on that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. SOOO DOPE!! Future Writer of the NEW YEAR!!! SHE IS NOT GOLDEN....SHES PLATINUM in its PUREST FORM!!! GET AT HER NOW!!

    Al B Young Mogul

    ReplyDelete
  3. If i woulda known my song choice and comment were gonna be public i woulda made a better song choice and thought about it more!! lol But i still love the blog anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry Bob I thought I told you it was for a blog. Yeah, if I was on the spot too I would probably not make the best pick, but I had to get it going and appreciate your fast response to my text as always :)

    ReplyDelete

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter